Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First!

I don't claim to know what I'm doing. I don't claim to be a great writer. I don't claim that my posts will be insightful, thought-provoking, or informational, but I do hope that it will be entertaining.

This first post seems like as good as a place as any to introduce myself: my name is Brokenmilk, human rogue of Blades of Oblivion, on the Galakrond-US realm, and this is my blog. 

A little bit of background information on me:
I am a full time high school student, aged 16, and I'm known to be passionate about WoW. Unfortunately, being a student, and a proud book nerd at that, leaves me with very, very limited time to play, perhaps an hour or two at the very most on weekdays.

However, this, combined with my love for raiding and endgame in general, which, as you can imagine, doesn't quite work out so well, leads to plenty of problems in terms of scheduling and time. Still, I don't try to delude myself, thinking that I'm a casual. I raid, I read EJ, I don't farm dailies, or collect pets, or mounts, or try for wacky achievements. But, given my extremely limited weekend raiding schedule, I'm certainly not hardcore, either. I'm not quite sure what this makes me, I would call myself "Hardcore Casual" or "Casual Hardcore", but those are already both blogs I read, and I don't intend on plagiarizing.

What I do know is, as my mother once said to me (except she, and I, are both Chinese, so I'd assume she would've done so in that language), is that I am a unique snowflake. As far as I know, there's not really any blogs that describes my playstyle, especially not from a rogue, and definitely not with my experiences. Thus, I hope that you find my blog and my everyday comings and goings in WoW just as exciting as I do writing them.

Now that I've drifted away from my original intention into this being a background section, I'll do so here.

I actually had my start in WoW back, around 2 years ago, in private servers, actually, as I foolishly asked "Why pay for something that can be so easily be had free?" Morals aside, the answer turned out to be "Because private servers, for a lack of a better word, suck". Buggier than an apiary, and crashier than realms on patch day (3.0.8, I'm looking at you), it was a nightmare.

However, I managed to make some great friends, and had a fantastic time going through what amounts to broken imitations of BC raids, I don't claim it to be the same as real WoW, but the experience was just the right blend of close enough and yet so far away that I was hungry for more.

Fast forward to summer last year. I sucked it up, and bought a WoW battle chest, rolling Brokenmilk on Alleria-US. Thus, I very much consider myself a BC baby, though my experience on real WoW really doesn't go back that far.

I think I was in the 60s somewhere when Wrath hit, and the massive amounts of lag, and queues, more or less forced my hand into taking the free transfer to Galakrond. Then, I turned 80 and spent 3 months in the type of hair-pulling, keyboard-bashing, bank-ninjaing, guild-disbanding and merging and reforming guild circus mess that can only happen to a brand new server where thousands of people in hundreds of different guilds all trying to use this server transfer to try their hand on guild leading.

This was where I joined Blades of Oblivion, a guild, that, get this, raids on weekends, and having been around for 4 years after being started by real life friends, provided some much needed stability and a reasonable raid schedule that I so desperately needed. We may not be the most progressed guild, or the largest, or the most prominent, but it's home to some of the greatest people I know and I feel it's an honor to be a part of such a guild.



And thus, here I am today. I hope you have learned enough about me through this post to get you interested in reading a blog from the perspective of someone with this background, and I'll do my best to keep you entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment